Sunday 18 March 2018

Review: We Own the Sky

We Own the Sky We Own the Sky by Sara Crawford
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

We Own the Sky is the first book in Sara Crawford’s The Muse Chronicles, and I’m excited to see where this series takes us. This first book has certainly sucked me in, and there is no doubt of me reading book two, Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming.

Like many readers, I’m a fan of mythology inspired stories. I’m especially fond of stories that take something different – be it a mythology that is often overlooked, or an element of mythology that is little used. Sara Crawford takes the latter, providing us a story based upon a little used aspect of Greek mythology: Muses. It’s a straightforward enough aspect, making for a simple twist, but it was unique enough to hold my attention. In fact, I think this may have been my favourite element of the story – I’m always won over when an author takes a chance and does something new.

You do not need to be an expert in Greek mythology to enjoy this one – although those with knowledge will appreciate the twists thrown in – as this book wonderfully incorporates the mythology into the modern world whilst providing a unique twist that is solely the author. In fact, you need more musical knowledge than you need Greek mythology knowledge to understand this one – although you do not need to be an expert there, either – as this story is very music centric.

From the first chapter I was pulled into this one, curious about the story. The deeper into the story I went, the more I found myself lost to the tale. There are plenty of elements introduced to us throughout this story, plenty of aspects that will keep you entertained. Details are slowly fed to you, twists start to appear, and there is such a wonderful set up for the future books. Without a doubt, this one sets the stage for the future books in a fabulous manner – there is so much I cannot wait to see, so many things I’m excited to dig deeper into.

The only thing I wasn’t too crazy about was the romance. I’m sure many will start to draw Twilight parallels, and I can understand why. This, however, was not my issue. For me, I felt as though the romantic subplot was never really given the depth it could have been. We were told, rather than shown. It seemed to happen, yet I never felt a connection to it. I’m hoping this aspect of the story will be expanded in future books, and that I will come to enjoy it more, but at the end of this book I wasn’t completely sold on the romantic plotline.

Overall, though, I had a lot of fun with this one. As I said, I’ll certainly be giving Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming a read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment