Thursday 29 March 2018

Review: Bashful

Bashful Bashful by Lo Brynolf
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Bashful was a fun debut novel, one of those stories that sucks you in from the start until the end, leaving you turning pages at a rapid pace, unable to put the book down. There is no doubt I’ll be looking to read more Lo Brynolf in the future, as I’m interested in seeing what the author brings us next (and a small part of me hopes some of the future books will include side characters from this one).

There is no way to describe this book other than addictive – I was addicted to it from the very first chapter. I was sucked into the story by the possibilities, and the more I read the deeper I was sucked in. With great characters, a bit of humour, and plenty of angst and drama, this one has all you could hope for from a fun new adult romance. Honestly, I could spend a lot of time writing about how addictive this story was, but my words will not do the story justice.

The one thing I was disappointed by was the humour. I was of the belief this was to be a rom-com. Although there were a few chuckle worthy lines throughout this, I would not label it a rom-com. There were a couple of times where the book seemed to make an attempt to lean towards such a label, but those moments felt forced. It was much better when there were naturally funny lines thrown in, rather than the occasional forced attempt to make it amusing. Had I not been made to believe this was a rom-com, though, I probably wouldn’t have picked up on this quite as much.

Overall the story is fun, the characters are entertaining, and the romance is great, making for a fabulous debut book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment