Tuesday 5 February 2019

Review: Moonlight Scandals

Moonlight Scandals Moonlight Scandals by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I’m going to be completely upfront and say I have very mixed feelings towards Jennifer L. Armentrout books. There are some I have enjoyed, there are others I found painful to work through. As I’ve read the two prior de Vincent books, however, I needed to read Moonlight Scandals to see how everything came together.

Although Moonlight Scandals was a three-star rating, it is a much stronger three-star rating than Moonlight Sins and Moonlight Seduction. The two prior books were without four-star moments, whereas Moonlight Scandals had four-star moments. Not enough to make it a four-star read, but enough for it to be a three-point-five-star read. Although it wasn’t quite enough to receive the four-star rating, it is my favourite book in the series.

In truth, it almost did receive the four-star rating. I can explain in a single sentence why it did not, however. The overabundance of overused clichés to bring everything together in a supposedly ‘shocking’ way felt like overkill. A few of these things would have been fine, I enjoyed them at first, but it felt like more and more was added. In the end, it felt as though the author could not decide which twist to go with, so she went with them all – making it too much.

Other than the overkill, I had fun with this. I wasn’t convinced about the relationship at first, but by the end I found myself really enjoying it. The way it developed was a lot of fun, more than willing me over. We got resolution to our questions, even if some things were too easy and other things to much, bringing things together well. We also got the paranormal element I’ve been holding out for, which was a nice addition.

Overall, Moonlight Scandals was my favourite in the series. I would not label this series a favourite, but it was enough to leave me reading to the end.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment