Friday 8 February 2019

Review: Villains Never Die

Villains Never Die Villains Never Die by Nick DeWolf
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After reading and enjoying Nick DeWolf’s Pulling Strings, I was eager for more of his work. I’d planned to dive into Frightfully Ever After, but real life kept me busy until Villains Never Die was ready to read. As I have a weakness for good superhero stories, I opted to read Villains Never Die first. I was already eager for more of Nick DeWolf’s words, but this one has left me desperate – I will be diving into Frightfully Ever After soon, and then I’m not sure what I’ll do until I managed to get my hands on more wonderful stories by the author.

Villains Never Die grabbed me from the very first page. I was sucked in, hooked, and putting the book down was extremely difficult. It pulls you in on so many levels, leaving you desperately turning the pages to find out how everything plays out. It takes you on a wonderful journey, and it’s guaranteed to stick with you long after you finished reading. In fact, if this was a superhero movie it would be the movie everyone was talking about. Forget about the latest from Marvel and DC, they pale in comparison to the story Nick DeWolf has given us.

As I’ve stated, this one pulls you in on many levels. What makes this one so powerful is that it does the unexpected. Superhero stories are fun, but I find the stories all start to feel alike after a while. Nick DeWolf adds something different, something new, something completely out there, and it makes an already powerful story even stronger. Even the points when you see something coming shocks you, constantly adding more to leave you hooked on the story.

I could sit and list so many things that are powerful within this story, playing out all the little things that left me loving this one, but it would ruin the story for you. I’m simply going to state what I believe to be the strongest aspect: the characters. Nick DeWolf has a way with his characters. They’re easy to connect to, they’re believable, they develop in wonderful ways, and every one of them feels real. Each character is unique, and they all hook you. There is no doubt in my mind, Nick DeWolf is capable of creating some of the best characters out there.

Overall, this was a strong four-point-five-star read. It is extremely difficult to get a five-star rating from me, and this one almost managed it. I was so close, close enough that I’m sure Nick DeWolf will manage in the future. If nothing else, Villains Never Die has earned the title of my favourite superhero story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment