Monday 11 February 2019

Review: To Kill a Kingdom

To Kill a Kingdom To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

To Kill a Kingdom caught my attention from the moment my eyes landed upon it. As a retelling of my favourite fairy tale, it went without saying I’d be all over this. Add in the way everyone was calling it dark, and I was doubly excited.

In truth, my feelings towards To Kill a Kingdom are rather mixed. It was certainly unique, I cannot deny that, but I was not addicted in the way I had been anticipating. In fact, I was able to put the book down and turn to other things. With how excited I was for this one, such a thing was quite the disappointment.

I think what stopped me from loving this one was my inability to connect to the characters. They were interesting, I was curious to see how their stories would play out, but I was never engaged in the way I had hoped to be. Moreover, I never felt the connection between them. It’s not the first time I have failed to feel a connection between characters, but when the supposed romance plays such a vital part at the end… I should have felt something.

I fear this may have been a case of me setting my hopes too high. I wanted something more, something mind-blowing, and what I received failed to reach the level of wow I’d hoped for.

I can certainly see why so many people loved this one, but it didn’t quite do it for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment