Sunday 25 March 2018

Review: Exile

Exile Exile by Denise Mina
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Upon finishing Garnethill, I wasn’t overly crazy about continuing this trilogy. I was interested in seeing where things went, but it wasn’t an intense desire. In fact, if I had not brought the trilogy as a collection, I would not have been continuing. However, being a glutton for punishment, I dove into Exile with the hope of improvement – after all, so many people seem to enjoy Denise Mina as an author and I was hoping to find a spark to create such a view within myself.

Unfortunately, my feelings towards Exile were much the same as my feelings towards Garnethill – I wasn’t won over by this one. Like the prior book, I found this one very difficult to get into. It wasn’t quite as hard as the prior book, as there was setup in place for the characters and we had some background information, but I still found it difficult. More difficult than I would imagine a second book in a trilogy ever needs to be.

As with the first book, it was a case of needing to continue reading. It takes a while, but as you get deeper into the book, things get better. My mind was never blown, but the elements of the crime come together and grow more intriguing. As we work through the story, enough happens to keep you interested, curious to see how everything comes together.

Overall, this was an okay second book. I’m hoping the final book will blow me away, will give me a great conclusion to Maureen O’Donnell’s story, but I’m not going to hold out hope. It is curiosity that has me reading the final book, rather than a deep love for the story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment