Thursday 15 March 2018

Review: OUTCAST

OUTCAST OUTCAST by Jamie Schlosser
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Outcast is the fourth book in Jamie Scholosser’s The Good Guys series, and it works perfectly fine as a standalone novel. I read it as a standalone and was not missing any of the necessary details – however, I enjoyed it so much I’m desperate to go and read the other books. Dropout in particular, as it tells the story of one of the side characters in this story. I’ll also be grabbing any future books, as I want more stories like this – and I have my fingers crossed certain characters from this one will get a story in the future.

Often in contemporary romance the bad boy is hero – the kind that do wrong yet we come to love them in the end. Straight away, Outcast is different. It says so in the series title – The Good Guys. Rather than being given someone rough around the edges, we’re given the sweetest book boyfriend ever. Honestly, I fell in love with our male lead so quickly. I’d initially been tentative, question whether someone other than the bad boy would manage to hold my attention so completely, yet our male lead in this one won me over in no time at all. If anything, it’s the story of the underdog.

Without a doubt, it is one of the most adorable stories I have read in a long time. It’s such a strong four-star rating, one of those ones where I did contemplate giving it a five-star rating. Those who have read any of my other reviews know how difficult it is to get a five-star rating out of me, so to consider giving Outcast such a rating shows how good this one is.

While this one is a romance, it also has a number of other elements to it. There are plenty of messages throughout, it makes you stop and think about so many things, without preaching at you. It deals with a number of topics that were heavier than I’d expected them to be, but it does so without the book being emotionally draining. In fact, you’ll let out quite a few chuckles during this one. Oh, your heart will break at some points, but you’ll also let out a lot of laughter, too.

The first half of the story is super sweet, sucking you in and leaving you wanting more. The second half of the story is where the action kicks up, where the drama really comes to the forefront. I’d been expecting a rather simple read, something without too much in the adrenaline department, so I was pleasantly surprised when the second half of the book kicked things up a notch and had me sitting up straighter as I flipped the pages at a faster pace to see how everything played out.

There is no doubt I loved this couple, loved the side characters, loved the story, and loved the messages. This was such a wonderful read, and I plan to dive into the other The Good Guys books soon – I mean, I already have them all on my Kindle, so it’s a given I’ll be reading them soon.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment