Sunday 25 March 2018

Review: Horrid

Horrid Horrid by L.C. Ireland
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Horrid is the first book in L.C. Ireland’s Seven Sisters of Silverleaf series, and I went in with quite high expectations. With such an interesting synopsis, I was more than a little intrigued – in fact, the synopsis had me desperate to dive into the story. Unfortunately, I was rather let down by this one.

Although the story is in line with the synopsis, it did not have the depth I had imagined it would. I realise this is a short story, of such a length that it can be completed in the space of a couple of hours, but I felt as though everything was over and done with too quickly with this one. I wanted to dig deeper into so many aspects, I wanted to know more about the world, and I wanted the characters to exist beyond surface elements. There was such potential here, but it didn’t quite live up to what I had wanted.

Don’t get me wrong, the story was interesting – it simply wasn’t enough to blow my mind. In the end, I was left wanting more – and not in the good way. When a book leaves me wanting more in a good way, it is because I’m unwilling to leave the characters alone due to having such a strong connection with them and the world. With Horrid, it was the opposite – I was left wanting more as I felt as though the characters had much more to offer if only there was more to them and the world could have been so much more if only we got to explore it more fully.

I’m sure there will be plenty of people who enjoy this one, but it was lacking the depth I like in my books.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment