Wednesday 28 March 2018

Review: Royal Rebel

Royal Rebel Royal Rebel by Jessica Peterson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’ve been a fan of Jessica Peterson since I picked up Spanish Lessons, the first book in her Study Abroad series. In fact, I was more than a little bit obsessed with the series and would dive into each new book as soon as I had it sitting on my Kindle. Having enjoyed her new adult romance, I was more than eager to dive into her adult romance. With Royal Ruin, Jessica Peterson guaranteed I would have a new obsession to replace the emptiness that appeared in my life when the Study Abroad series came to an end. Thus, it should come as no surprise to hear I was more than willing to dive into Royal Rebel.

Royal Rebel is the second book in the Flings With Kings series, but it can be read as a standalone novel. I would recommend reading the prior book – it’s a wonderful book, one you should certainly go and read simply because of how good it is – but it is not necessary to understand this one. If you do read the prior book, however, you will get to appreciate the side characters and certain events a lot more with this one. Whether you read the prior book or jump straight into this one is entirely up to you.

At present there are a lot of royal books on the market, due to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle having a decent proportion of the world obsessed with their relationship. As I sated in my review of Royal Ruin, though, I’m not overly interested like some people. That being said, I can appreciate a good royal romance read. Especially with how much I enjoyed Royal Ruin, and how I wanted more of the family Jessica Peterson had introduced us to.

I went into this one with high hopes, and I was not disappointed. It took me a couple of chapters before I was completely sucked in and obsessed, but once the story got moving I was lost. It quickly became a book I was finishing in a short period of time, turning the pages at a rapid pace, and growing annoyed when someone tried to interrupt my reading.

While Royal Ruin was a second chance romance, Royal Rebel offers us the enemies-to-lovers trope instead. I’ll be completely honest and say this wasn’t quite the enemies-to-lovers story I had expected – I’m a fan of deeper dislike than was apparent in this story, preferring the blood boiling disgust to the kind of enemies we saw in this one – I did enjoy the way the characters played off each other. There was so much emotion to be felt throughout, so many wonderful interactions to watch. The couple from the first book are my favourite from the series thus far, but these guys were a great couple too.

Honestly, this was such an addictive read. Jessica Peterson always offers up fun romances, and this was no different. It sucks you in from the very start and leaves you wanting more. I cannot wait for the next book in the series, as I cannot wait to get more of this family.

Another winner from Jessica Peterson.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment