Tuesday 13 March 2018

Review: Taming the Alien King

Taming the Alien King Taming the Alien King by Rie Warren
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoy a good science fiction romance, and Taming the Alien King instantly grabbed my attention. In truth, I expected nothing more than a fun quick read. One I would enjoy, but I wouldn’t be crazy about it. Turns out, I underestimated how I would feel towards this book. I absolutely adored this one, and cannot wait for more.

From the very start, this one sucked me in – and I can pin down why with a very simple answer. The humour. I was chuckling away with this one. I was sitting reading it in my free time in the lab, and I was constantly waiting for someone to come knocking on the lab room door to see what had me giggling so much. Each time I thought I had calmed down, there was something else that brought on a round of laughter. Some of the things were juvenile, but it played in so well with the characters and story, and I loved the way it all played out.

Of course, humour alone isn’t enough for me to fall in love with a book. The story and the characters also hooked me. Although there was nothing overly shocking about the story, it was nothing overly original for the genre, it was a nice set up for the series and kept me engaged throughout. I wanted to see how the specifics would play out, and I was turning pages at a rapid pace. Mix in characters I loved – both the main characters and the side characters – and amazing chemistry, and you know why I finished this book in no time at all. The only downside to enjoying a book so much is finishing it – especially when you do not have book two, which I need as soon as possible.

It’s so rare to find a science fiction romance with so much humour in it, one with a wonderful storyline and great world-building, and Taming the Alien King certainly delivers these things. I cannot wait to get my hands on the future books in the Intergalactic Lurve series, Taming the Alien Prince – honestly, I’m seriously excited for the humour I know is to come with this one – and Taming the Alien Warrior. As far as an introduction to Rie Warren’s work goes, this was wonderful.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment