Tuesday 20 March 2018

Review: Guardian's Bond

Guardian's Bond Guardian's Bond by Rhenna Morgan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Guardian’s Bond is the first book in Rhenna Morgan’s Ancient Ink series, and I’m excited to see where things go from here. As a lover of paranormal romance, I’m always looking for the next series I want to dive into, the next series I wish to obsessively follow, and it seems as though Ancient Ink may well be the next series to be added to my list.

I will be completely honest, it took me a couple of chapters to get into this one. I was a little bit lost by the world, unsure as to whether it was linked to another series. It quickly became clear such was not the case, however, as the air of unknown was intentional. It was a way to suck us into the book, to put us on the same footing as our leading lady. Once the explanations started to come, once the world started to open more, I found I could not put this one down.

There are so many shifter stories out there, I’ve read so many, that I often wonder whether it is possible for me to find a series where something unusual comes about. The Ancient Ink series promises that difference I always look for. In Guardian’s Bond we are introduced to a whole new shifter lore, one that provides us with something very different to the norm yet is ridiculously engaging. It is a world of shifters and magic, a modern world with a deep connection to nature. I could write masses about how much I enjoyed the way the supernatural world developed, how I enjoyed digging into something new, but I’m going to hold off on any ramble I could give. It’s better if you experience it, if you dive in and see what I mean. Just know it was a nice change, and so many possibilities have been opened for the future.

Not only was the world building wonderful, but I had a lot of fun with the characters too. It was such a fun cast, we got to meet so many people, and I’m excited to see how some of the stories play out in the future. I feel as though it was a nice change to be thrown into a series with the romance storyline being that of the most powerful person – usually we build up to this, they are a person in the background and the final romance story we are given, making it a nice change to start with the most powerful person. Through being thrown into the deep end, we get to find out so much about so many of the other characters, we get to see so much of the storyline, and I’m excited for more.

The one thing I will say is that I wasn’t completely won over by the relationship between the two main characters. It was hot, the story had a lot to it, but I never really shipped them to the degree I had hoped. I liked them as individuals, and as a couple, but I was never as attached to their relationship as I would have liked to be. I was much more invested in the world building than I was the romance with this one. It’s not a bad thing, as I adore powerful world building, but I would have liked just a little bit more by way of emotional connection to the relationship between the main characters.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with this one. I’m so excited for book two, desperate to see how the story plays out. There are so many things I wish to see more of, so many questions I need answering, and elements I’m excited to play out – not to mention, I’m so down for the promised romance.

Bring on book two!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment