Friday 23 March 2018

Review: Sweet Little Lies

Sweet Little Lies Sweet Little Lies by Sierra Hill
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sweet Little Lies is the fifth book in Sierra Hill’s The Sweetest Thing series, but it works perfectly fine as a standalone novel. Side characters are clearly those from the prior books, and some of the events that are focused around them clearly tie in to the prior books, but it is not necessary to read the prior books to understand this one. It’s your typical case of a standalone novel in a series of interconnected standalone novels.

I’ll be completely honest and say I was rather surprised by this one. I went in expecting your standard sweet contemporary romance, something fun to pass a bit of time. The typical combination of sweet moments with a bit of steam and drama thrown in for good measure. Sure, it has those things, but it also had something unexpected – a lot of emotional depth. I’m not saying I thought this book would be without emotion, I simply did not expect the emotion to be as heavy as it was.

Our male lead comes with a lot of baggage, and throughout the story we get to watch as he faces down his demons. Our female lead faces a very different kind of issue, one you do not see all that often. I’m not going to give details, as I do not wish to give spoilers, but the two characters and their stories came together so well. It was such a wonderful blend of the secrets and issues, keeping me gripped throughout, curious to see how everything would come together.

I will be honest, though, by saying I wasn’t completely won over by the ending. I think that’s a case of personal preference, as it concluded on a trope I’m growing somewhat bored of reading. It brought the story together well, but I would have liked something different – something unique to go with the wonderful story that developed.

After reading Sweet Little Lies, I’m certainly interested in going back and reading the prior books in the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment