Wednesday 2 January 2019

Review: All Our Yesterdays

All Our Yesterdays All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Cristin Terrill’s All Our Yesterdays is a book that has sat sitting on my sister’s to-read pile for years. On countless occasions, I’ve found myself curious. At last, I convinced her to let me borrow it to give a read. She admitted her interest had pretty much dried up, so it did not take much.

In truth, my feelings towards All Our Yesterdays are rather mixed. At a push, I would say this was a three-point-five-star read – but certainly not one I considered rounding up. It was fun for a quick read, it was easy to finish, and I was happy to work through it; however, I had expected more from it than I was given.

As with all books that include time travel, there was a lot of potential with this one with so many things we could explore. In this one, the story is trying to stop the existence of time travel from occurring. It’s not the most original of ideas, but it is one that isn’t done as often as you would think. Compared to other books that use the idea, this one requires more of a suspension of belief as the story follows teens.

Despite how dramatic this story could have been, I feel as though it fell into the trap of many young adult novels. The suspense and action were lost as we focused upon the teenage drama instead. I’m sure if I’d read this when I was younger, I would not have minded as much. As it stands, I’m a lot more particular about my young adult books than I once was. I’m still happy to read then, but teenage drama no longer holds the allure it once did.

I’m unsure if the sequel will ever happen, but if it does I am interested in seeing what comes next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment