Tuesday 1 January 2019

Review: Now We Are Dead

Now We Are Dead Now We Are Dead by Stuart MacBride
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Stuart MacBride is one of my favourite authors, and his Logan McRae series is in my top three crime series. I will gladly read anything he releases, but I was particularly excited to dive into Now We Are Dead. With Now We Are Dead, we get a story following one of my favourite characters from the series – Steel.

Steel brings the large majority of the humour to the Logan McRae books, and I constantly find myself loving the scenes where she appears. A part of me was nervous to follow her as a main character, but a larger part of me was excited to see her in the limelight. Although I did enjoy Now We Are Dead, I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as I enjoyed the main books in the Logan McRae series.

Now We Are Dead has all I expect from a Stuart MacBride book. We have an interesting, multi-layered crime. We have great characters. We have plenty of humour. However, I feel as though these things weren’t quite to the same level as they are in the main books. The crime was interesting, but I feel as though it was not as complex as the other books in the series – in many ways, I feel it was a necessity to close of the Steel story arc we were introduced to. The characters were fun, but I did not enjoy them quite as much as I enjoy the main team – sure, we get to see some of our favourites, but it wasn’t the same. The humour did bring about giggles, but it wasn’t as funny as I’d expected – in fact, I felt as though some of the humour was overly desperate and felt a bit too childish for my liking.

Nevertheless, despite the fact Now We Are Dead was not quite all I had hoped it would be, I did have a lot of fun with Steel’s book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment