Thursday 24 January 2019

Review: A Conjuring of Light

A Conjuring of Light A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A Conjuring of Light is the final book in Schwab’s Shades of Magic series, and after the ending of book two I was super eager to dive into this one. I had so many questions, there were so many things I wished to see, and I was happy to devour the book.

Picking up where book two finished, we’re thrown straight into the action. Things are intense from the start, making it extremely difficult to put the book down. Things did taper off a wee bit later in the book, but throughout there was an intense need to finish, to see how things played out. I do feel as though some parts dragged whereas others did not receive the attention they could have, but as a whole it was a great end to the series.

We get more of the characters we have come to love, we get more of the magical world that leaves you hooked, and there are plenty of things throughout to leave you wanting more. I worked out how some aspects would play out, but other elements surprised me. I was also surprised by the way we never got answers to certain questions, and how this was done in a pleasant way – it wasn’t a case of forgetting to answer things, it was made into a choice, and it was really well done.

I will say, however, that there were phrases that felt really repetitive throughout this book. It could be because I completed it in such a short space of time, but I found myself picking up on the overuse of certain phrases. I also believe I was reading a bad copy, as I found quite a few mistakes throughout (repeated words, wrong words, and the likes). It wasn’t enough to ruin the book, but it certainly grabbed my attention.

Overall, however, I had so much fun with this ending. I’ll be diving into more Schwab soon!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment