Tuesday 15 January 2019

Review: A Bargain in Silver

A Bargain in Silver A Bargain in Silver by Josie Jaffrey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I adored Josie Jaffrey’s The Gilded King and found myself more than willing to dive into The Silver Queen. I’m now eager – no, desperate – to dive into the final book in the Sovereign series, The Blood Prince, to see the wonderful way in which the addictive series comes together. However, before I do so, I told myself it was time to go back and read the Solis Invicti series. It is not a necessity to understand the Sovereign series, but with my addiction to the universe I want as much as I can get my hands on. Thus, I was happy to dive into A Bargain in Silver.

If I’m being completely honest, I was a wee bit worried about A Bargain in Silver at first. The Sovereign series sucked me in deep, but it took a couple of chapters before I was sucked into the first Solis Invicti book in the same kind of way. Sure, I was curious, but it didn’t quite hook me in the same way. It was intriguing, it was fun, but it wasn’t quite the same. This is not to say A Bargain in Silver is a bad book, simply that you can see the development of Josie Jaffrey as a writer between her first book and her more recent books. This book is a solid four-star rating, whereas the Sovereign books had me considering five-star ratings.

Nevertheless, although it took me a couple of chapters, once I was pulled into the story I found I could not put it down. It introduces us to a wonderful world, mixing the paranormal and the dystopian trends together in a wonderful way. It’s one of those things that can be hit or miss, and Josie Jaffrey hits all the right spots. You’re intrigued about so many elements, curious about how everything will come together, and you’ll find yourself turning the pages at a desperate speed to devour all the goodness.

Without a doubt, this was a great start to the Solis Invicti series. It introduces us to so many things, it leaves us curious about so much, and I’m eager to dive into book two.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment