Monday 13 August 2018

Review: Ancient Allies

Ancient Allies Ancient Allies by Sarah K.L. Wilson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

With the end being in sight with the Dragon School series – if things go as planned, it is to finish after twenty of these little ‘episodes’ – I find myself desperate to see how everything ties together. I’m starting to hope for resolution, yet it appears more questions are still being added. Despite how much I’ve enjoyed this series, I do find myself nervous of how things will end.

Dragon School: First Flight, book one, sucked me completely into the world – it was so much more than I’d expected, and I couldn’t wait to get more. Dragon School: Initiate, book two, sucked me in even deeper – it showed me there was more to the story than I’d originally thought, ensuring I would pick up the next. Dragon School: The Dark Prince, book three, was a very important book in the series – it may not have been my favourite book, but it was vital to the overall story. Dragon School: The Ruby Isles, book four, continues to move things forward in a wonderful way – it may not be my favourite of the stories, but it is another important addition. Dragon School: Sword, book five, was another brilliant read, adding more to the series – it was also the book that reminded me why I was following the series in the first place, pulling me back in after a short hiatus.

Dragon School: Dusk Covenant, book six, added plenty of new twists – more than enough to ensure I remained ensnared with the story. Dragon School: First Message, book seven, brought even more to the table – more was added to the storyline, plenty of things leaving me curious as to what would come next. Dragon School: Warring Promises, book eight, left on a serious cliff-hanger – all the books leave on a cliff-hanger, but this was probably the biggest of them all. Dragon School: Prince of Dragons, book nine, was probably my least favourite of the series, but it continued to move things forward for us.

Dragon School: Dark Night, book ten, was one of my favourites in the series, increasing the level of intensity and leaving us with so many expectations. Dragon School: Bright Hopes, book eleven, was a pivotal book in the series, giving us so many new twists and making so many promises for the future. Dragon School: Mark of Loyalty, book twelve, blew all the prior books out of the water, earning it the label as my favourite in the series. Dragon School: Dire Quests, book thirteen, didn’t quite live up to the potential, but I did give it a rounded up three-point-five-star rating. Dragon School: Ancient Allies, book fourteen, was another rounded up rating.

Personally, I was a bit bored with Ancient Allies for quite a bit of this story. I enjoyed how we got to see even more of the world, with something new opening up, yet I feel as though we drifted a bit from the main storyline for too long. In many ways, I feel as though this book worked to open possibilities for the future series the author has planned for this world. It was fun to see more, I enjoyed how we got introduced to new aspects, but I was left with a lot of waiting for something to happen.

In fact, for most of this book I was considering rounding this rating down to a three-star rating. Were it not for the end, I would have done so. The last few chapters in this one gave us what we usually enjoy about this series – the new information with shock twists that throws us forward – but the majority of the book wasn’t up to the usual standard, at least in my mind. I’ve come to expect so much more from this series, and this one was simply enjoyable rather than the amazing addiction I’ve grown accustomed to.

My fingers are crossed we start to move towards some kind of conclusion over the next couple of books, without any more big plot twists being thrown in. As much as I’m enjoying the series, I feel as though if new things continue to be added, things will start to drag.

Another fun read, certainly worth it if you’re a fan of the Dragon School series, but it’s far from my favourite in the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment