Thursday 30 August 2018

Review: Even at Your Darkest

Even at Your Darkest Even at Your Darkest by A.J. Love
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Even at Your Darkest was my first A.J. Love read (as A.J. Love or Annie Hughes), and I can guarantee I will be back for more. I was sucked into Even at Your Darkness from the very first page, and in no time at all I found myself devouring the entire book. I’m no stranger to completing books in a single sitting, but this was another of those cases where I should have been doing other things yet opted to enjoy a good book instead.

Even at Your Darkest was a book filled with emotion, one that grips you on so many levels. You fall in love with the characters, the events have your heart slamming against your chest, and you find yourself lost to the world. With plenty of things to enjoy throughout, this book will have you hooked and desperate for more.

Although I enjoyed so many things about this book, the thing I loved the most was the character development. Both our main characters had so many layers to uncover, and I loved watching the way they grew together. They played off each other so well, and the chemistry between them was wonderful. I did feel as though a couple of things towards the end were questionable, didn’t quite follow how I’d imagined the characters were growing, but they played into events that hit hard, so I accepted them for what they were.

I think the only thing that surprised me is that the book wasn’t darker. It certainly deals with some heavy topics, and needs a trigger warning, but the title had me expecting a truly dark read. As I’ve mentioned with other books, though, my notion of a dark read seems to require something much darker than the average person. For me, rather than dark, this was a heavy read – one filled with topics that will hit hard, and events that will leave you breathless.

Without a doubt, Even at Your Darkest was a wonderful read, and I cannot wait to dive into more of A.J. Love’s work.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment