Monday 6 August 2018

Review: The Girl on Camera

The Girl on Camera The Girl on Camera by Morgan Dun-Campbell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’m one of those people who cannot stand reality television. No matter how hard I try, I do not care. People will be ranting and raving about a reality television show, and I’ll tune them out and do something else entirely. Despite this, I have a weakness for books that are set around reality television. Usually, this results in romance novels based around reality television – those shows where they’re to find the one, and things go wrong – yet I always find myself intrigued when other genres use reality television. In fact, I’ve spent a decent amount of time plotting thrillers based around reality television, meaning I was more than happy to read The Girl on Camera as it promised the thing my mind regularly plots.

From the start, this one pulled me in and left me wanting more. I was intrigued by what would come next, curious about where things were leading, and desperate to see how everything came together. In many ways, it’s a simple story – yet it is done so well that it does not appear to be simple in any way at all. There is much that leaves you guessing, things you find yourself thinking about whenever you put the book down, and plenty of details that will stick with you by the time you’re finished.

If I’m completely honest, this one did not read like a thriller for part of the book. There were the constant questions about what was going on, yet at times the book was focused predominately on the drama. Over the last few months, I’ve found myself annoyed with how many drama books have been passed off as thriller reads, but in this case I loved it. This was a thriller, hidden under the drama. The drama being a necessary aspect of the storytelling due to the reality television element of the story. Due to this, I can see this book appealing to both fans of thrillers and good old fashion dramatic reads.

I could go on and say a lot more, but it’s much better to experience this one than to read about what you can expect. Just know it’s a story that will leave you addicted, one that will have you hooked until the very last page.

I’m certainly curious to see what Morgan Dun-Campbell delivers with her next book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment