Friday 3 August 2018

Review: Opus of Doom

Opus of Doom Opus of Doom by Norma Hinkens
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Having read an enjoyed Opal of Light and Onyx of Darkness, I was eager to dive into Opus of Doom to see how the final book in the Keeper Chronicles came together. With so much having occurred throughout the series, I was more than happy to power through the story that gave us an ending to all the events that had intrigued me so much.

If I’m being completely honest, Opus of Doom was my least favourite book in the series. It was an enjoyable end, but it was lacking in the punch that had made the prior books so powerful. Thus, my rating is more of a three-point-five-star rating which I decided needed to be rounded down to a three-star rating. It was fun, it’s certainly worth reading if you enjoyed the prior books, but it wasn’t quite all I had hoped it would be.

I think my issue with Opus of Doom was that there were no shocking revelations throughout. We had some nice twists thrown into the first two books, yet I found the details of Opus of Doom to be a bit too predictable. We received plenty of action, there were plenty of things to enjoy, but I saw them all coming. I was waiting for something to shock me, for something unexpected to happen as with the prior books, yet that moment never came to be.

With this one, we get answers to all those lingering questions we have. We get to meet the dragons and the dragon riders; we get to see what happened to characters we have been invested in throughout the series; we get answers to what had happened to certain characters; we get to see what happens with the romance that has been building throughout; we get to watch how things tie together. It was fun, I’m glad I read the series, but I had hoped for a little bit more from the way things played out.

Overall, an enjoyable end to the series even if it was not my favourite book in the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment