Friday 17 August 2018

Review: Slave to Sensation

Slave to Sensation Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Nalini Singh is one of those authors to have caught my attention on many occasions. As I’m quite the paranormal romance fan, it is no surprise to hear this. In fact, the surprising part is that it took me so long to pick up a Nalini Singh book. Even though multiple Nalini Singh series have caught my attention, it’s always been the Psy-Changeling series I’ve been the most interested in. Thus, I finally decided to borrow the first book from the library to see if my curiosity was worth it.

I was both excited and nervous to dive into Slave to Sensation. After hearing so many great things, I had high hopes of finding another series I would enjoy. At the same time, I feared this would be another of those cases where I did not understand the hype. As the latter has unfortunately happened quite a few times, a large part of me was worried things would go in that direction.

I will admit that Slave to Sensation wasn’t quite what I had thought it would be. In fact, it took me a while to get into the book. I was curious, but I wasn’t in love. Once things started to move, though, I found the book quickly became extremely addictive. It wasn’t the most addictive paranormal romance book I have ever read, but it certainly had me desperate for more. In fact, upon finishing, I went ahead and requested book two from the library straight away. I may not have fallen as deep in love with this series after the first book as I have with other paranormal romance series, but it certainly has me interested in finding out more.

I will be honest and say this isn’t the same level of a four-star rating as some other books I have read in the genre. In truth, this is a rounded-up rating – yet it was so close, rounding down would have been an injustice. It didn’t quite have the mind-blowing world building of Larissa Ione nor did it have the insane level of ‘what comes next’ that I find with Kelley Armstrong (two of my favourite authors for paranormal romance), but it did leave me invested.

In many ways, I believe things can only grow stronger. We were introduced to an interesting world, and I’m curious to see where things go from here. There are plenty of characters I want to see more of, and things I cannot wait to understand better.

Although Slave to Sensation wasn’t quite the read I had hoped for, it’s certainly left me willing to continue the Psy-Changeling series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment