Monday 27 August 2018

Review: Counting on You

Counting on You Counting on You by Laura Chapman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Counting on You is the first book in Laura Chapman’s Amarillo Sour series, and I’m in desperate need of book two. I fell so deeply in love with this book, I came to adore the characters, and I cannot wait to get more of the wonderful world we were introduced to. There is no doubt in my mind that big things are to come from this series, with this first book pulling a four-point-five-star rating from me, with there being promise of many more powerful books in the future.

I’m no stranger to devouring books in a single sitting, but my desperation to finish this book was a more powerful experience than I have had in quite some time. I started reading Counting on You with the plan to read a couple of chapters before bed, nothing more – yet before I knew what was happening, I was addicted and unable to put the book down. I had so much fun with the story, enjoyed so many elements, and will certainly be reading more of Laura Chapman’s work in the future (not just the Amarillo Sour series, which I am desperate for, but also her other work to see if I enjoy those other books as much).

On the surface, this is an adorable read about two people finding love in the most unexpected of ways. Which this story certainly is. However, it’s also one of those stories with heavier topics involved, one of those stories that you can easily connect with. The light-hearted nature of the story and the heavier topics the characters deal with are interwoven beautifully, creating a seamless story you will enjoy on many levels. You’ll be sucked into all the different elements, experiencing a wide range of emotions throughout.

I think the think that stopped this from being a five-star rating for me was the romantic comedy label. It’s another of those cases where I found the romantic comedy label had me expecting much more humour than I was given. There were some moments that did bring about a smile, some parts where I gave a snort, but there was none of the belly-aching laughter I hope to receive from romantic comedies. As I’ve mentioned in other reviews recently, though, I believe this is a reflection of my expectations when I see the words ‘romantic’ and ‘comedy’ next to each other, as I find I rarely get the level of humour I anticipate.

Nevertheless, Counting on You was an amazing read. I may not have been howling with laughter, but it certainly hit upon many of my emotions. It’s a book I’ll be thinking about for a long time, until I can get my hands onto book two and can get lost in more of the wonderful characters.

Without a doubt, this is a must read if you’re looking for a romance that will have you hooked from the very first to the very last page.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment