Wednesday 15 August 2018

Review: Siren's Curse

Siren's Curse Siren's Curse by Katee Robert
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

My first Katee Robert book came from the middle of The O’Malleys series, and I found myself desperate for more. After reading the last three books in the series and enjoying them, I decided I needed more of her work. I planned to go back to the start of the series, to dive into The Marriage Contract to fill in my blanks, yet I found myself reading new Katee Robert releases instead. There was the first book in the Make Me series, then the first book in The Kings series, and both disappointed me. I told myself I would go and read the early books in The O’Malleys series and then I would be done with Katee Robert. I know many enjoy her work, yet outside of The O’Malleys series I’ve found myself to be disappointed. Despite this, I decided to give her one final try – I decided to give Siren’s Curse a read as it was something completely different.

Although Siren’s Curse is the third book in The Sea King’s Daughters series, it is labelled as a standalone novel. Yes, the story had a start and an end, with the story around the lead character reaching a conclusion. However, I feel as though I would have understood things a lot better had I read the prior books in the series. Things were mentioned that did not receive a resolution, and I found the worldbuilding to be significantly lacking.

For a quick read, this was okay. It does not require much brainpower, and it offers something a bit different. It mixes mythologies together and gives us something unique. However, I favour more depth in my story. I would have preferred it if I’d received more detail, but as it was things were never taken as far as they could have been. With how unique the story was, with the twists thrown in, this had the potential to be so much more. As it was, it was just an okay quick read to pass a wee bit of time.

At this point, I think it is safe to say I’ve given Katee Robert a fair try. I do have a couple of her other books on my Kindle, and I may read them at some point, but for now I think I will be giving her work a break. Sure, The O’Malleys series left me with high hopes for her work, but with three stories in a row disappointing me I think it is safe to take a break.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment