Friday 9 March 2018

Review: Under His Ink

Under His Ink Under His Ink by Maya Hughes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Under His Ink was my first Maya Hughes read and it surprised me. Not because of how much I enjoyed it, but because of how different it is to other books in this genre.

Like many romance readers, I enjoy a good mob romance. There is something about the dark and gritty underworld, and the alpha heroes hidden within, that leaves us wanting more. Thus, when I saw Under His Ink, I was intrigued. It sounded like another enjoyable mob romance, and I went in expecting the usual.

The usual was not what I was given.

The entire feel of this one was so different to what I’m accustomed to in the books of this genre. I do not proclaim myself to be an expert, but I’ve read a decent number of books within the genre and have a general idea of the storylines you can expect. The events in this one, the characters, did not line up with what I was expecting. It was a very pleasant surprise, one that sucked me even deeper into the story than I had anticipated.

Without a doubt, this was one seriously addictive read. Being quite unusual for the genre, I found myself turning the pages at a rapid pace, desperate for more. I had so much fun sinking deeper into the story, watching how everything came together. I enjoyed the characters, I enjoyed the history between characters, I enjoyed the mob aspect, and I enjoy the storyline continued throughout. This may not be the dark and gritty mob romance I favour, but it was a seriously fun read.

If you’re a fan of the genre and you’re looking for something a bit different, I’d certainly recommend giving Under His Ink a read. It’s a surprising read, in the best way possible.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment