Friday 28 September 2018

Review: Alias Hook

Alias Hook Alias Hook by Lisa Jensen
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I love a good retelling, especially Peter Pan retellings. Add in the fact this story was following Hook, and I was more than willing to dive in. In fact, ever since Colin O'Donoghue won my heart with his Hook in Once Upon A Time, I’ve been more than willing to read alternative Hook narratives.

With Alias Hook, we had something completely original. I went in with numerous notions of how the story would play out, at the same time being completely clueless as to what I would be receiving. Although the story did not touch upon any of those notions I did conjure up, it was an interesting tale. It brings about something completely different to Neverland, providing a story unlike any retelling I have ever read before. Without a doubt, this is one of the most unique takes on Neverland that I have ever come across.

However, I wasn’t as crazy about the story as I would have liked to be. In fact, my rating was all over the place with this one. There were times when I did not care, times when I was completely hooked to the story (bad pun, I apologise), and times where I was indifferent. Some aspects of the story really grabbed me, other aspects of the story bugged me, and other aspects were merely okay. Hence, deciding upon a rating was extremely difficult.

In the end I opted for the two-star rating because I had been hoping for something more, for my mind to be blown. Yes, this was a unique take on Peter Pan. I enjoyed being given something different, yet it failed to earn a spot in my top Peter Pan retellings.

If you’re a fan of retellings and enjoy Peter Pan, then this one is worth it for something very different. It will appeal to many, I’m sure, but it wasn’t quite for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment