Tuesday 4 September 2018

Review: Torn

Torn Torn by Amanda Hocking
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Torn is the second book in Amanda Hocking’s Trylle trilogy, and my feelings towards this second book are much the same as my feelings towards the first book. In some ways, it was slightly less tedious; in other ways, I found this book more difficult to work through than the first.

In truth, had I not purchased the combined edition I would not have read Torn. Switched failed to win me over, and I wasn’t all that crazy about seeing what came next. As I’m a glutton for punishment, however, I continued reading. A small part of me hoped things would get better, but a larger part of me feared such would not be the case.

As with the first book, I did not care about any of the characters. There were a couple of characters in the first book I’d hoped to see more of, those I’d hoped would make the series worthwhile, but they failed to have a strong enough impact to make me forget the pain of everything else.

You see, for me, this book seemed to exist to overwrite everything we’d come to believe in the first book. It’s as though the author realised the typical young adult love triangle and the associated drama could not play out with the way book one set things up, so things were forced so we could be given the drama.

I’m not a fan of love triangles to begin with, yet this felt more painful than the norm. There was no emotion to be found anywhere, and it completely overshadowed any potential storyline that could have been interesting. Not that there was much of anything else to dig deeper into – as with the first book, very little happened with this one. There was some new information thrown in, but there was nothing shocking – yet the harder part to deal with was the fact nothing happened in the book.

As mentioned, I’m a glutton for punishment and own the entire trilogy – thus, despite my dislike of the series, book three will be read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment