Saturday 22 September 2018

Review: Copycat

Copycat Copycat by Alex Lake
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Copycat falls into what I refer to as domestic thrillers. I’m sure there’s a much better, more legitimate, name out there, but in my mind they will always be domestic thrillers. All the drama and events surround the home life, with these books often following a mother as her life is turned upside down.

When it comes to my thriller reads, these are probably my least favourite. I appreciate them, I enjoy them, but I’d much rather a thriller that follows a police officer or someone else who gets caught up in the much bigger picture. In many ways, this reflects how I prefer series where I can follow the characters over individual books. Of course, all of this is personal preference – and, whilst domestic thrillers may not be my favourite kind of thriller, I do enjoy these types of books every so often.

If I’m being completely honest, I had a bit of an up and down with this book. I was constantly curious, yet I was never sucked in. There were times where things seemed to drag and there were times when I could not put the book down. It was enjoyable, but it was not what I had been anticipating.

In truth, I probably would have enjoyed this more had it not been so predictable. I worked out pretty early on where the story was going, and none of the ‘twists’ surprised me. I enjoyed watching the details come together, but I was constantly waiting for something to jump out and surprise me.

Overall, enjoyable but I’d hoped for a wee bit more.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment