Tuesday 4 September 2018

Review: Ascend

Ascend Ascend by Amanda Hocking
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Ascend is the third and final book in Amanda Hocking’s Trylle trilogy, and it’s my least favourite of the three books. In fact, a part of me considered rounding this rating down to a single star. I’ve found the entire series to be rather painful to work through, but did so because I purchased the combined edition, yet Ascend was the most painful to read.

I’ve never been invested in the characters and the events, I’ve never felt as though things were developing, yet this was clearest in this final book. This final book exists to tell us how the romance (if you can call it romance when there is no emotion to be felt) played out, with this element of the story drowning out the important things – you know, the actual action and fantasy that was supposed to be building throughout.

I could rant and rave for quite some time about this one, but I know if I start I will not be able to stop. Just know this book is very anticlimactic. Instead of everything coming together in an explosive ending, things seem to happen far too easily. I’ve worked with young child capable of telling a more entertaining ending than this. With Ascend, we’re simply reminded of how powerful our leading lady is over and over again without being given any evidence to support this – instead, we have a predictable ending.

A part of me wants to take back my generosity and round this rating down, but I’m being nice and giving it a two-star rating instead of the one-star a large part of me wishes to give.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment