Monday 17 September 2018

Review: Carbon Replacements

Carbon Replacements Carbon Replacements by Reily Garrett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Carbon Replacements is the fourth book in Reily Garrett’s McAllister Justice series, and it’s another brilliant addition to the series. Those who have read Digital Velocity, Bound By Shadows, and Inconclusive Evidence will adore this instalment in the series, yet new readers can easily dive in as each book is a standalone novel. I would recommend reading in order, though – it’s such a great series, and so fun to watch as things develop, plus you really come to love the characters throughout. Moreover, the deeper into the series you get the more backstory there is to enjoy – you can enjoy without it but being able to recognise those nods to the prior books certainly adds more to this one.

As with the prior books in the series, however, I wish to make a quick note before I go into any detail regarding this book. I’m fortunate enough to beta read for Reily Garrett, lucky enough to get an insight in how these books develop. However, this does not influence my rating in any way. The beta reading process is a lot of fun, but I keep my ratings of the final book completely separate from the beta reading process.

With that in mind, onto the good stuff.

By this point I have read almost all of Reily Garrett’s work. I have a couple of books left to read, and I’ll certainly be picking them up. My fan status was guaranteed with the first book I read, and since then my level of fandom has increased with each addition book I read. Every book Reily Garrett releases is an amazing experience, each book having plenty to offer.

As with all Reily Garrett reads there are certain things you can go into Carbon Replacements expecting – beautiful prose, wonderful characters, and a storyline that will have you hooked. Those are just the basics of what you can expect, the foundations of any Reily Garrett book, with Carbon Replacement adding plenty more layers on top of these original goodies.

Like any good romantic suspense read, this one starts with a kick and the high continues throughout the story. The action and suspense will have you hooked. The mystery and intrigue will leave you second guessing plenty of elements. The romance and sexual tension will leave you adoring the characters. All these things come together in a fabulous way, ensuring you’re turning the pages at a rapid pace.

With Inconclusive Evidence, book three, I mentioned how Reily Garrett gave us something a bit different when it comes to the suspense element. Such is also true of Carbon Replacements. With the McAllister Justice series, the suspense element is taking us on a wild ride, one that leaves you thinking long and hard about science and the world around us. I will not go into much detail, but know this story offers something different to the standard serial killer you find inside most romantic suspense reads, and it makes for a truly addictive read.

I could sit and write thousands of words about how much I love this series, but I will leave you to go and make your own decision. Honestly, all the books in this series are strong four-point-five-star ratings (or in the case of Bound By Shadows, a solid five-star rating), and you cannot appreciate the beauty of the series until you dive in.

As ever, Reily Garrett has given us a wonderful read and I cannot wait to see what we’re given next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment