Monday 10 September 2018

Review: Reflection

Reflection Reflection by Elizabeth Lim
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A Whole New World, the first book in the Twisted Tales series, instantly grabbed my attention. I devoured the story offering a new spin on the Aladdin tale, and I was more than willing to pick up the next book. Once Upon a Dream, the Sleeping Beauty retelling, failed to wain me over. I went in hoping for so much more than I was given, finishing the book feeling rather disappointed. As Old As Time, the Beauty and the Beast retelling, also disappointed me. With Beauty and the Beast being one of my favourites I’d had high hopes, I’d been desperate for another wonderful retelling only to be given a story that lacked the features that make such a retelling as amazing as can be. At this point, I decided I was done with the Twisted Tales series. Then I saw Reflection.

Mulan is my all-time favourite Disney movie. Any tale, any movie, anything with a Mulan feel I will devour. Therefore, I decided I would give Reflection a read. I may have been feeling done with the series after being disappointed with books two and three, but a Mulan retelling was more than enough to pull me back. Plus, with Reflection being written by a different author – Elizabeth Lim instead of Liz Braswell – I decided it could very well be a different kind of story.

I will be honest and say Reflection was more of a three-point-five-star read rather than the three-star rating I gave it. If I’m being completely honest, at any other time I may have rounded this up. I’ve been in a bit of a reading funk recently and am finding it difficult to round books up. In the case of Reflection, it’s a much stronger three-star rating than Once Upon a Dream and As Old As Time – they’re very much rounded up two-point-five-star reads whereas Reflection is a rounded down three-point-five-star read.

You see, while I did enjoy Reflection I had been expecting a little bit more. We had multiple things I love – Mulan, mythology, and hell. When combined, my mind should have been blown. Yes, this story was addictive. Yes, this story brought the different elements together well. Yes, this story was a nice twist on the original tale. However, I was constantly waiting for that little bit more. I wanted a bit more action and intensity, I wanted to be on the edge of my seat throughout. I was invested, I cannot claim otherwise, but my hopes had been set higher than the book delivered.

I’d certainly recommend this for Mulan fans. It is a wonderful twist, one of the more interesting ones I have read. I’d also tell fans of the Twisted Tale series to give this one a read despite the change in author – in fact, I’m willing to say I enjoyed this more than I enjoyed the last couple by Liz Braswell. As I’ve already stated, at any other time I probably would have rounded this one up.

In fact, I enjoyed this one enough that I may well give the next book in the series a read. I know I said I was done prior to reading Reflection, but the Mulan retelling has me hopeful for the next retelling. The Little Mermaid is my second favourite Disney character, and the Part of Your World retelling sounds really interesting. It’s as though they noticed my interest was slipping and they decided to go with my favourite characters, simply to keep hold of me.

Whether I’ll continue after Part of Your World remains to be seen, but Reflection worked to restore my faith in the series for the moment.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment