Monday 10 September 2018

Review: The Hunt

The Hunt The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Vampires were a popular trend in young adult fantasy, only for dystopian tales to become the genre of choice. Recently, I’ve found a few series that have combined the two elements. I find they can be hit or miss – some combine the two really well, others not so much. With Andrew Fukuda’s The Hunt I found myself curious as to which side of the line we would fall upon.

In truth, The Hunt is more of a two-point-five-star read rather than the two-star rating I gave it. It was enjoyable enough, but I had been hoping for a wee bit more. I’m sure at other points in time I would have given this the rounded up three-star rating rather than the rounded down two-star rating, yet I’ve been in a bit of a reading funk recently and I’d been hoping The Hunt would be the book to break my disappointing run.

Although The Hunt was interesting, it never quite reached the full potential. Little seemed to happen, there was a lot of information being given, and I’d been hoping for something more explosive. I feel as though I was constantly waiting for all the interesting elements to finally come together – then, when things did happen, it was never what it could have been. In fact, when things happened it left me with questions that made the information given throughout the book seem even less clear than it was.

In many ways, this book could have been a great read – but it never quite delivered all it could have. There was fun to be had, yet the book seemed to focus too much on building things up then when it came to experiencing things we were left wanting. It has left me curious and hopeful about the future books in the series, but at the same time I’m nervous of receiving a repeat experience.

Overall, The Hunt was not what I had hoped it would be. It was okay for a quick read, but I had hoped for more from a book in this genre.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment