Saturday 29 September 2018

Review: Mentor

Mentor Mentor by Julia Sykes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Mentor is the fifth book in the Impossible series, and it’s a dark and twisted story that gives us insight into the bad guy. Unlike the other books in the series, this is not a romance. This is the story of The Mentor’s first victim, of how things played out. I’m sure, like myself, you’ll go in with plenty of expectations, yet this story is not at all like you will imagine.

Without a doubt, this story is much darker than the other books in the series. Knight was a dark tale, but Mentor throws us into the darkness in a way Knight did not. With Mentor, we’re watching as the bad stuff happens, we’re experiencing the evil we’ve been hearing so much about. Due to this, the story will not be for everyone. However, for those who enjoy a dark story, Mentor is sure to please them.

Although I did enjoy Mentor, I did not enjoy it quite as much as I enjoyed the other books in the series. This is why it is a three-star rating, when the rest of the books have managed to pull a four-star rating from me. It was fun, but this novella failed to pull me in quite as deep as the other stories did. I think there are two reasons for this – the first is that there were too many points where we had memories outside of the dark story, and the second is that the ending didn’t wow me in the way it could have. It was an enjoyable story, but I had hoped for a wee bit more.

Mentor may not be my favourite Impossible story, but I did enjoy the journey into the darkness. Without a doubt, it left me even more eager to dive into the sixth Impossible story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment