Monday 5 November 2018

Review: Guilty Pleasures

Guilty Pleasures Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Since I started reading urban fantasy novels, the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter books have interested me. I’ve been curious for so long, constantly wanting to pick them up to find out more, only to find my attention drifting elsewhere. When I found out the library had almost the entire series, I decided it was time to jump in.

If I’m being completely honest, my feelings towards Guilty Pleasure are extremely mixed. On the one hand, there were some interesting elements. There were plenty of the usual things you see in these kinds of stories, but there were some aspects that were unique enough to keep me turning the pages. On the other hand, I didn’t much care for the way in which the story was told. I didn’t much care for our main character, and I quickly grew bored of her voice.

If I’m being brutally honest, my rating was actually rounded up. A large part of me wished to round down to a two-star rating, but there was a point where I was invested enough to want to see how things came together. Although the slight mystery element was really obvious, although it was never taken to the extent it could have been, it held my attention and was the reason I gave a three-star rating instead of the two-star rating a large part of me considered.

With the things other reviews have said about the other Laurell K. Hamilton books and where this story is heading, I doubt I’ll be continuing with this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment