Monday 19 November 2018

Review: Nightflyers

Nightflyers Nightflyers by George R.R. Martin
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Nightflyers grabbed my attention because it contains three things I love – space, murder, and George R. R. Martin. Thus, I entered Nightflyers with high expectations and the hope to be wowed.

In truth, Nightflyers was not what I had expected it to be. There were times when I was invested in the story, when I was desperate to see how everything came together, but as a whole I failed to feel the depth of emotion I had expected to feel towards this one. I wanted to be obsessed, instead I took a stroll through the story.

Nightflyers was an interesting notion, giving us a few different things to enjoy throughout. However, I feel as though things were never quite all they could have been. It felt as though we merely touched upon the edge of a story that could have been so much more. It was interesting, but it wasn’t everything it could have been. I wanted more of so many things, I wanted things to be taken further than they were, and even the interesting way things came together failed to win me over.

In fact, the thing that won me over the most was the thing I usually care the least about. The art. I appreciate good art, but I’m usually so invested in a story that it takes second place. Not here. With Nightflyers, I found myself appreciating the illustrations more than the story. Such is not what I expected.

Overall, Nightflyers disappointed me on many fronts.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment