Tuesday 6 November 2018

Review: True Calling

True Calling True Calling by Siobhan Davis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Siobhan Davis is one of those authors who, after just one book, I knew I needed to devour all their work. My introduction came through the Saven series, and since then I have been happy to devour all the books she releases. Throughout it all, the True Calling series has been sitting on my Kindle waiting to be read. It wasn’t that I had no wish to read the series, as I did, I simply found myself reading other things instead. Finally, I’ve reached the point where I’m amending my error and going back to see where it all started.

Although True Calling was an enjoyable read, one that has plenty to keep me turning the pages, I wasn’t quite as in love with it as I had hoped to be. It was a great debut, but you can easily see it is the first book Siobhan Davis published. It’s not bad, but you can see her growth as a writer when you compare True Calling to her more recent work. I’m not saying this is bad, far from it, I’m merely saying her development is obvious. Which, when you think about it, is what we want to see. It’s great to see authors develop, great to watch them reach new heights, and such is certainly the case with Siobhan Davis.

With True Calling with have an interesting story. We mix science fiction and reality television together in this one, giving us a unique tale that will leave us curious as to how everything comes together. I will admit that some of the science fiction elements weren’t quite as clear as I would have liked them to be, there were some aspects I didn’t fully understand, but as a whole it was an interesting mix of elements that pulled me into the storyline.

What stopped me from being as crazy about this one as I would have liked was the characters. It was an interesting cast, I liked watching the way people developed, but I never felt the connection to them that I had hoped I would. I wasn’t as invested in them as I have been with other Siobhan Davis creations, and this prevented me from being completely invested in the story.

I will be picking up book two, though. After all, I purchased the boxset, so it makes sense for me to dive into book two. Even if I had not purchased the boxset, the ending of this one left me intrigued to see how things play out in the future books.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment