Saturday 19 October 2019

Review: Lullaby of Flames

Lullaby of Flames Lullaby of Flames by Candace Robinson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’m someone who much prefers a tome over a short read. When offered the choice of a thousand-page story or a hundred-page story, I always go for the former. In fact, I’m very selective about the shorter stories I read. Unless I enjoy the author’s work or have heard really good things about the story, I tend to stay away.

With Lullaby of Flames, we have a story I completed in under half hour. It’s a quick read, one you can devour in no time at all, but it’s one that keeps you hooked throughout. In truth, this is not my favourite Candace Robinson read. It’s enjoyable for a quick read, perfect when you do not have much time, but I think I would have loved it even more if we’d been given a full-length novel that allowed us to dig deep into all the characters and the world.

Of course, this is a reflection of my feelings towards short stories. It’s why I gave this a four-star rating, as it certainly hooked me for a quick read. Yes, I would have liked more. However, this is because I always seem to want more with short stories. For lovers of short stories, this is perfect. There is plenty packed into it, providing a lot in a very short story.

If you’re a fan of short stories, this novelette is certainly worth the read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment