Tuesday 15 October 2019

Review: The Sea Was a Fair Master

The Sea Was a Fair Master The Sea Was a Fair Master by Calvin Demmer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have a love-hate relationship with short stories, whereby I’m very picky about the short stories I pick up. In truth, I much prefer reading a tome I can disappear in for hours over a short read that I can complete in a single sitting. Although long reads are my favourite, there are short stories I will give a read.

With The Sea Was a Fair Master, I went beyond short stories and entered flash fiction. The twenty-three stories within this collection can each be read in the space of minutes, and I feared this would prevent my enjoyment of them. I want to be sucked in deep, not finished within moments, meaning I was a wee bit hesitant about this one.

Imagine my surprise when I enjoyed all twenty-three stories, despite the fact I finished them all incredibly quickly. I enjoyed some more than others, sure, but I had fun with all of them. Each story offers something different, ensuring you’ll be gripped throughout. Although short reads, you’re pulled right into the story. Some were a bit predictable and I worked out what was coming, others were a wonderful surprise, and all were well worth the read.

I’m certainly curious about more of Calvin Demmer’s work, as it’s rare for me to stumble upon short work that grips me in the way the twenty-three stories in The Sea Was a Fair Master gripped me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment