Wednesday 16 October 2019

Review: Reaper

Reaper Reaper by Larissa Ione
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Larissa Ione’s Demonica series is one of my favourite paranormal romance series. It’s such a vast world, with so much to love and enjoy, and I was excited when I saw there was another full-length novel coming out. For a while, it has been short stories. As I’m not a lover of short stories, I have not been keeping up to date with the series.

I believe my three-star rating reflects this. To understand Reaper, you really need to have read everything in the Demonica world. Sure, you get enough information to put the pieces together. However, you do not get to experience things in the same way when you’re playing catch-up with information that has been covered in the short stories.

Add in the fact there are far too many points of view, with a lot of these coming from the characters we got to see in the short stories, and you realise how easy it is to get lost in this world. It’s still one of my favourite paranormal romance worlds, but with this one I felt like an outsider. Evidently, the fact I have not read everything is to blame. It’s possible once I’ve read the short stories, I will no longer feel quite so put out by this one.

Although I was not invested in this one in the way I had hoped to be, it was a book that had me hooked throughout. A lot happened in this one, with plenty occurring to keep me curious. There were some points that should have been emotional but were not, there were some points when things should have been more action packed and felt like they were dragging, yet, for the most part, I enjoyed this one. It kept me turning the pages, and it was nice to get a new full-length novel in the Demonica universe.

Plus, the possibility of spin-off novels makes this a must read for fans of the universe.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment