Wednesday 23 October 2019

Review: Ninth House

Ninth House Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Like many, I’ve really enjoyed Leigh Bardugo’s Grishaverse. I never quite reached the level of obsession that many seemed to reach, but I do enjoy them, and such left me eager for Ninth House. The fact the Alex Stern series was a step into something I really enjoyed – adult thrillers – had me doubly eager for Ninth House.

In truth, I was disappointed by Ninth House. It took far too long for me to be sucked into the book, to the point where I was able to put it down and pick up other books. There were so many elements that should have had me addicted, but none of them really sucked me in the way I had hoped for. There was a lot of information dumps, yet I still did not have a clear image of things until quite late in the book.

Don’t get me wrong, towards the end I became hooked. It did not wow me, but it became more enjoyable. There were some interesting twists thrown in, enough to leave me curious about the second book. Although curious, I’m not desperate. The start of the Alex Stern series was okay, but it wasn’t enough to have me obsessed.

Overall, an okay read. I expected a more from this one, but it has left me curious to see what book two brings.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment