Saturday 3 August 2019

Review: Daughter of the Forest

Daughter of the Forest Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Juliet Marillier’s Daughter of the Forest is a difficult one to rate. I felt so many different things towards this one when reading, my views on it shifting often.

At the start of this one, I wasn’t completely sucked in. It was rather slow to get going, and I was finding it difficult to connect with what was going on. In fact, it was a book I considered putting aside – expect, it was the only book I had for an eleven-hour journey, thus I decided to continue.

The more I read, the more I found myself getting into this one. Things are slow throughout, yet at the same time plenty happens. It’s a book you need to stick with to get the full experience, and it requires quite the commitment. It isn’t one that sucks you in instantly, it’s one that slowly hooks you in different ways.

Although I did become hooked as the book progressed, there were later points where my interest did wane. There were points where the book was slow and it felt like things were dragging, certain elements of the story did not suck me in the way it should. Despite this, I did remain interested throughout.

Even though I found my feelings towards this one were all over the place, I can see why so many people enjoyed it so much. The story has so many elements throughout, linked really well, and in the end the story comes together in a wonderful way. It’s not for everyone, as it’s rather grim at places, but it was an interesting story.

I’m curious about the second book, but I’m not going to go out of my way to read it. It’s one I’ll read if I find it on offer or in a library.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment