Monday 26 August 2019

Review: The Friar's Lantern

The Friar's Lantern The Friar's Lantern by Greg Hickey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When I was young, I had an addiction to ‘Choose Your Own Adventure’ books, to the point where I wrote my own for assignments. It was an addiction that lasted a long time, but a point came where I turned my back on them. With The Friar’s Lantern, I decided to go back and look at an addiction from when I was younger.

From the start, The Friar’s Lantern had me intrigued. From the very first choice, I was curious about how things would play out, curious about how the elements would link together. There were ideas in the back of my mind, and I was desperate to see how they would come together.

Although I was hooked on this one, there were some points where I did feel things moved a bit slowly. I was curious about the information, I continued reading to get all the details, but there were a few points where I found myself wanting a little bit more to be happening. It worked well with the way this story was told, but it wasn’t quite the ‘Choose Your Own Adventure’ of my childhood. I think, in that way, it was a case of nostalgia directing my expectations.

Nevertheless, anyone looking for a fun reminder of childhood should give this one a read. There is more to this one than seen on the surface, ensuring you’ll power through it to get your answers.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment