Wednesday 7 August 2019

Review: Relative Fortunes

Relative Fortunes Relative Fortunes by Marlowe Benn
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

With Relative Fortunes, the first book in Marlowe Benn’s Julia Kydd series, I think it’s safe to say ‘it’s me, not the book’. Although I love a good historical crime, I am extremely picky about such reads, and in this case this one wasn’t quite for me.

Relative Fortunes is a book that takes a long time to start, much longer than I would have liked. With my mysteries, I like it when things start to come together much sooner than they did in this one, and there were plenty of points where I did consider putting this one down. It’s certainly an interesting book to continue reading, but it does require quite the commitment to get that payoff.

For the first book in a series, this one sets up things for later books. I’m sure the later books will be more interesting, more engrossing, but this one didn’t quite grab me in the way I had anticipated. For some, however, I’m sure this book will be perfect for them.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment