Saturday 17 August 2019

Review: The Jonah

The Jonah The Jonah by James Herbert
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I’m a big James Herbert fan, and am always happy to dive into the any of the author’s work I have yet to read. Thus, I was eager to see what The Jonah would bring.

I’m going to be honest and say this one disappointed me. It wasn’t the usual James Herbert read: instead of being a creepy story, it was more a detective story with a small amount of the paranormal thrown in. Usually I love such stories – detective stories are some of my favourites, and I never say no to the supernatural – but this one failed to hit the right spots for me.

Early in the book, I was willing to give this one a three-star rating. It wasn’t my favourite James Herbert book, but it had me curious to see what would come next. The ending, however, let me down. When the supernatural was finally explained, it was done so simply and the story came to an far too sudden end. I expected more from this one, finding myself let down by the way things concluded.

I’ll continue to read James Herbert, hunting down those few I have yet to read, but The Jonah disappointed me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment