Tuesday 13 August 2019

Review: In The Darkness

In The Darkness In The Darkness by Karin Fossum
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

In the Darkness is the first book in Karin Fossum’s Konrad Sejer series, and I had high hopes for this one. It sounded like a wonderful read, creating the promise of a new crime series addiction. Unfortunately, my high hopes were not met.

Although In the Darkness was an interesting storyline, it didn’t give me the feelings I usually experience when reading crime novels. It was interesting to see how everything came together, the story certainly had me reading until the end, but the way in which the story was told didn’t quite hold my attention. I was ready to follow an officer as he tried to unravel a mystery, only to be given a very different kind of tale.

It’s difficult to explain without offering spoilers, but things in this were not what I expected. It started out a three-star rating, but when the details started to come together – when we got to see what happened – the change had me dropping it down to a two-star rating. There was a nice little twist at the end, one that had me considering giving an overall three-star rating, but it wasn’t quite enough.

There is potential with this series, but the way this story unfolded wasn’t quite for me. I’ll certainly give the second book a try to see if it works better for me, but this one did disappoint me in the end.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment