Monday 8 April 2019

Review: All the Crooked Saints

All the Crooked Saints All the Crooked Saints by Maggie Stiefvater
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Maggie Stiefvater is one of those authors I’ve been curious about for a long time. There is so much hype surrounding her work, so many fans, and it was a case of waiting to see when I crumbled and gave in to the pressure. All the Crooked Saints is me giving in and picking up a Maggie Stiefvater book. It may not be the one everyone talks about, but it was the one I was able to get my hands on from the library.

Although All the Crooked Saints is not the Maggie Stiefvater book everyone talks about, I went into this one with high hopes. Not only did I expect great things from an author with a huge following, but I also have a weakness for magical realism. When done right, magical realism is beautiful.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed by All the Crooked Saints. I did not care for the characters, they all felt the same to me, and the storyline failed to wow me. There was potential, but I feel as though nothing really happened in this story. In fact, most of the book felt like a too hard attempt at magical realism, throwing out lines that sound pretty but make you do a double take when you’re not interested in the story.

Of course, many seem to enjoy this one. I’m going to assume this is one of those cases where I’m to be the minority. I will be giving other Maggie Stiefvater books a read, to see whether it was a case of this one not being for me, but she’s no longer so high up my to-read list.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment