Saturday 13 April 2019

Review: Into the Drowning Deep

Into the Drowning Deep Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was addicted to Mira Grant’s Newsflesh series when I read it a couple of years ago, and since then I have been meaning to read more of the author’s work. When I stumbled upon killer mermaids in the library I was super excited – I’m a big fan of dark mermaid stories – and when I saw Mira Grant was the author I was eager to dive in.

Although Into the Drowning Deep was addictive, it wasn’t quite what I had hoped it would be. I had been hoping for a bloody horror, the kind filled with gore and fear, but this book wasn’t quite that. It was fun, it added something different to the current mermaid obsession, but it did not wow me in the way I had hoped it would.

I think my main problem was that I never came to care about any of the characters. There were a lot of interesting characters, and we never went beyond the surface layer. When we did get a bit more, it was through information dumps rather than watching these things slowly come to life. It took some of the fun out of the characters, and I never came to care about any of them. Furthermore, the scientist in me was shaking her head at all the comments made about scientists putting others at risk, being selfish, and not playing nice that occurred. I can assure you, not all scientists are this way. There are some, but it’s the same with every job – some of us are good, some of us are bad, most of us sit somewhere in the middle.

Overall, Into the Drowning Deep was a fun read, even if I didn’t enjoy it to the degree I enjoyed my other Mira Grant reads.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment