Tuesday 9 April 2019

Review: Rules of Stone

Rules of Stone Rules of Stone by Alex Lidell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I adored Alex Lidell’s Scout series and have mean meaning to dive into more of the author’s work since. At the top of my list is the Power of Five series, as everyone seems to love it, but when I found out you could enjoy the Great Falls Academy series without first reading the Power of Five books, I was curious. Thus, I found myself diving into Rules of Stone.

Although it’s said you can enjoy the Great Falls Academy books without first reading the Power of Five books, I’m going to be that person that recommends you do not do so. Yes, I appreciated this story. However, I was at a massive disadvantage. The Great Falls Academy series is going to work like a television show, each short read a new episode. Without reading the Power of Five series, I feel as though I entered a television show in season two. There was enough information given as a reminder to fans to prevent me from being completely lost, but I did not feel the connection to the characters I should have.

Moreover, it is dangerous to read the Great Falls Academy books first if you’re planning to read the Power of Five books. I inadvertently received numerous spoilers for the Power of Five series, and I know it will have an impact upon my reading of the series. I still plan to go and read the Power of Five series, as I’m even more curious about it after reading Rules of Stone, yet I will not be continuing the Great Falls Academy series until I have read the Power of Five books. I really need to fill in those blanks, allowing me to understand the world and characters better before I continue their story.

For fans of the Power of Five series, however, I’m sure you’re going to enjoy the Great Falls Academy series. Rules of Stone was a fun quick read, one I was happy to power through. It kept me interested, it had plenty of things I’m curious about, and I’m sure people that know the characters well will devour this series.

It’s possible I may change my rating of this one when I’ve read the Power of Five series, but as it stands I can only give this a three-star rating, as I was missing too much to feel anything other than curiosity.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment