Monday 29 April 2019

Review: The Falconer

The Falconer The Falconer by Elizabeth May
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I love a good steampunk story, and The Falconer seemed like the kind of tale I would adore. In fact, it offers something different to the usual steampunk stories, meaning I was desperate to dive in.

Despite devouring this book in no time at all, I was never in love with it in the way I had hoped to be. Steampunk and fairies, with a story that plays out in Scotland, should have left me crazy. As it was, I was merely indifferent. Yes, I was constantly curious about what came next. Yes, I found the world interesting. However, I never connected with the characters and felt as though this was one of those cheat books where everything happens at the end without resolution to ensure you pick up the next book.

I do not mind cliff-hangers, not at all. In fact, I rather enjoy them when done right. My problem with this one was that nothing much happened early in the book, then everything was crammed into a handful of pages towards the end, with the scene stopping just as things got really interesting. Due to my indifference towards the characters, I felt cheated when something happened only for it to be cut off before it could finish.

A part of me is tempted to read the second book, yet a larger part of me is saying not to. I want answers, but I’m unsure if I care enough to go questing for answers. At the moment, it’s up in the air – just know, The Falconer was not what I had expected it to be.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment