Tuesday 9 April 2019

Review: Eleanor & Grey

Eleanor & Grey Eleanor & Grey by Brittainy C. Cherry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My first Brittainy C. Cherry book, Behind the Bars, wowed me, leaving me desperate for more of the author’s work. I’ve been a terrible person and have not devoured the author’s back catalogue in the way I had planned. However, the moment I saw the cover of Eleanor & Grey I knew I needed to pick it up.

I know you should never judge a book by the cover, but the colours pulled me in. Add in the fact I’ve been meaning to read more Brittainy C. Cherry, and it was more than judging a book by the cover. It was the cover deciding which Brittainy C. Cherry book I read next. It’s a completely different thing, or so I will continue to tell myself.

With Eleanor & Grey, I found myself sucked in from the very first page. Brittainy C. Cherry has a way of sucking you in and suck me in she did. I was hooked from the get-go and did not put the book down until I had finished. I’m no stranger to finishing books in a single sitting, but this one demanded louder than many. I needed to see how things played out, I needed more of the characters.

In part one, my heart broke. There was so much emotion in the first half of the book, and I found myself fighting back the tears. I’m not one to cry at books – I’m not one to cry at much, being one of those weird robot people – but this one had the eyes watering. It was the painful kind of beauty, and I loved it. I could not turn my attention away, falling so deep into the story.

In part two, things changed. There should have been more heartbreak, but I did not feel it in the same way. I think it’s because of the level of heartbreak in part one made the heartbreak in part two seem lesser. Add in the fact I did not feel the emotion between the two as strongly, and I did not enjoy part two as much as I enjoyed part one.

That is not to say I did not enjoy part two, I did. The difference is in a star rating. It is near-impossible to pull a five-star rating from me, yet part one left me with five-star feelings. Part two, on the other hand, was a solid four-star. It was great, I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t quite as mind-blowing as part one. It was a beautiful story, I loved the characters, but the connection was not as strong as in part one and it stopped me from giving it a rare five-star rating.

Overall, though, I loved Eleanor & Grey. It pulled me in with all the feels, and I could not put the book down until I was finished. I’m now desperate for Landon and Shay’s story, as I need to read how their love plays out.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment