Wednesday 17 April 2019

Review: Tombstones

Tombstones Tombstones by K.C. Enders
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Tombstones is the third book in K.C. Enders Beekman Hill series, although it can be read as a standalone novel. I read it as such, in fact it was my first K.C. Enders read, and found it worked fine. I will admit, however, there were some events in the book that felt a wee bit glossed over, and I believe this is because they were dealt with in more detail in the prior books. Such a thing did not take away from this book, but I do believe you’ll enjoy these elements more if you have read the prior books.

Before I go into reviewing this book, I wish to make a point about my rating. I had a hard time deciding whether I was going to give this a rounded up three-point-five-star rating or whether I was going to give it a rounded down three-point-five-star rating. I came extremely close to rounding up, but I opted to round down in the end. I think, in part, it’s because I’ve been in a bit of a weird reading mood lately. I’m finding it extremely hard to be wowed the way I’d hoped for, and I’m sure many will gladly give this a four-star rating instead.

With Tombstones I went in expecting a very particular kind of story. I’d created ideas in my mind of how the story was going to play out, and I was surprised by what I was given. It was the good kind of surprise, the kind that has you turning the pages at a rapid pace. It may not have been the story I was expecting, but I did enjoy it. It offered something a bit different to the kind of story that has been done before, and I enjoyed the unique twist put on the story.

In fact, this book caught me off-guard a couple of times. There were some very surprising events to be found in this one, leaving you unable to put the book down. It will tug at your heartstrings, leaving you open and exposed, and the story will linger.

The reason I decided to round down, however, was that I never quite felt the connection to the characters that I had hoped to. I enjoyed their story, I was unable to put it down, but the connection wasn’t quite there. I wanted to go deeper into their psyches, I wanted to worm my way in more, and as I never went as deep as I would have liked, I opted to round down instead of up.

Nevertheless, Tombstones was an addictive read. I’ll certainly be giving other K.C. Enders books a read, as this one has left me curious for more.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment